Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Boring post because I'm tired

Hmmm, it seems that the amount of new music that I listen to is directly correlated with how much I am using Census data. The last two weeks: writing another draft. Hence, I think the only new music I purchased was the pretty nice Black Sheep Boy (and follow-up EP appendix) by Okkervil River. But in other good news I now own a spiffy new laptop with a 160 gig hard drive that can hold all of my music and a quarter of my data. No longer must I try to figure out which external hard drive I put an old album on!

I really have nothing interesting to share. Other than lately I've found music to be the most energizing thing in the morning. Given serious lack of sleep (in the office 8:30AM-11PM these days), I'm surprised how well the right choice of morning music can put a bounce in my step and a smile on my face by the time I reach my office. Not that you care, but here's what I use to start my morning:
  1. From doorstep to about 50 yards from Shaws: Either Way, from Sky Blue Sky by Wilco. (Basically, because the track begins, even before the band jumps in, with the lyrics "Maybe the sun will shine today, the clouds will blow away." Reminder that every day is a fresh start.)
  2. From Shaws to the doors of the Porter subway: Keep the Car Running, from Neon Bible by The Arcade Fire. Cause once the band jumps in after the short string/guitar intro, the heart starts beating and the bloods flowing.
  3. From top of Porter to the bottom: Right Moves, from The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter by Josh Ritter. 'Cause it's good stair/escalator running music. (Really, the only exercise I get these days).
  4. And then I'm stuck. Need something that keeps up the energy until I make it to the department. Options usually include Atlas by The Battles, 1234 by Feist, To Go Home by M. Ward, The Painter by I'm From Barcelona, and Andy Warhol and the Honeybees by Walker Kong.

No comments: