Friday, December 28, 2007

Favorite Songs of 2007

Why? Cause everyone else is doing it. Again, these are my favorite songs (mainly, as determined by what iTunes and my iPod say I listened to the most), rather than the best songs. And this time, these are ranked in order. (Note also that my rules are one song per album. Otherwise my list would be 30 to 40 songs long...). I've tried to link to music videos of the originals whenever possible, but some of these are linked to live recordings instead.
  1. "Right Moves", from The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter (Josh Ritter). An extremely catchy song with lots of energy, and easy to sing along to. Particularly meaningful for me this year.
  2. "1234", from The Reminder (Feist). For what it's worth, I liked the song before the iPod commercial. She also makes awesome music videos.
  3. "Keep the Car Running," from Neon Bible (The Arcade Fire). Love how the strings enter quietly in the beginning, then swell, and then the song explodes in energy. Consistently gets my blood flowing every time I hear it.
  4. "The Underdog," from Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (Spoon). Needs no explaining. If you don't like this song, you don't like life.
  5. "Queen of Hearts," from America (Romantica). This was a late find for me. Mellow and catchy, singable, and touched me for some reason, from the first listen.
  6. "Paranoia in B flat Major," from Emotionalism (Avett Brothers). So many fine tracks to choose from off of this album. Great opening line: "I keep telling myself that it'll be fine / you can't make everybody happy all of the time."
  7. "Andy Warhol & the Honeybees," from Deliver Us From People (Walker Kong). Happy, peppy, summery song.
  8. "All My Friends," from Sound of Silver (LCD Soundsystem). Truly glorious song. Energetic, catchy beat. In my opinion, the best off of an entire album worth of awesomeness.
  9. "A Girl in Port," from The Stage Names (Okkervil River). Again, a lot to choose from here, but this kept me company on late night summer walks back from the department.
  10. "Apartment Story," from Boxer (The National). Not really sure how to pick just one from Boxer, or which one to pick - there's plenty to choose from that are just as good - but I suppose I listened to Apartment Story the most.
  11. "A Sentence of Sorts in Kongsvinger," from Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? (Of Montreal). Again, a lot to choose from on this album. I always thought this song sounded like something one could DDR to. Catchy beat, a song about depression that you want to dance to! Can't beat that chorus.
  12. "Running Away," from The Fragile Army (The Polyphonic Spree). The happiest song from a happy album from the happiest band in the country.
  13. "Australia," from Wincing the Night Away (The Shins). Because it has the most "la la las" out of any Shins song to date.
  14. "What Light", from Sky Blue Sky (Wilco). Sure, not the most intelligent of music, lyrically. But it's catchy. A "nice" song.
  15. "Scythian Empires," from Armchair Apocolypse (Andrew Bird). It was either this or Plasticities.

And, runner ups:

No comments: